Dr Nicola Sutton
Dr Nicola Sutton – Forensic Psychologist
Nicola is a Chartered Forensic Psychologist registered with HCPC and BPS Nicola has over 9 years’ experience of working in mental health and forensic services. She works with adults with complex, severe, and enduring mental illness, personality disorder, and those who pose a serious risk of harm to themselves and others. Nicola is trained in DBT and a range of specialist risk- and personality-related assessments.
She is experienced in working with a wide range of issues such as anxiety, depression, anger, post-traumatic stress disorder and trauma-related difficulties, emotional problems, risk of harm to self and others, and offending behaviour. Nicola is experienced in working with complex and challenging behaviour in the context of both secure and non-secure environments and provides consultation, advice, and support with intervention programmes and psychological formulation to other professionals.
· Assessment and intervention of complex, severe and enduring mental ill health, personality disorder and serious risk behaviour, where presentations include multiple needs, often originating from sexual, physical and emotional abuse.
· Assessment and treatment of risk behaviour, including violence, domestic violence, sexual risk, self-harm and suicide.
· Assessment of mental capacity, cognitive functioning and learning difficulties.
· Consultation, advice and support with intervention programs and psychological formulation to professionals working with a range of presentations.
· Consultation to a range of professionals including multi-disciplinary teams, MAPPA, and National Probation Service.
· Assessments of capacity to change and address forensic risk through delivering, monitoring and evaluating psychological interventions.
· Training professionals in a broad range of approaches including trauma, mindfulness, behaviour modification, recovery model, risk assessment and management, working with self-harm and suicide, practical skills for working with personality disorder, understanding mental illness, professional boundaries, case formulation and the RAID approach.
· Expert witness to the criminal and family courts and parole boards, involving pre-sentencing reports, parental risk assessments, and assessments of mental capacity.
· Chartered Psychologist of the British Psychological Society
· Full member of the Division of Forensic Psychology
· Association for Psychological Therapies (APT) tutor
Nicola became an Associate of Futureminds in 2017 offering assessment and direct work for young people in residential care who require specialist help. Nicola also sees private clients in Ashby.